Saturday, October 10, 2009

Stuffed Bell Peppers

I was never a fan of bell peppers.  Something about the unique taste just never appealed to me until Jason's mom (my mother-in-law) made this recipe.  I still don't eat red or yellow bell peppers, but I really enjoy green ones now, all because of this delicious and filling recipe.

I have to add that I've tried a couple of other stuffed peppers (that other people made) and they didn't taste nearly as good as these :).  So... on to the recipe.  It's fairly simple, but you'll see that there are quite a few steps and it is time consuming.  So make sure that you plan ahead to make these on a night that you have plenty of time.

Here are the ingredients... I'll explain what to do with them as I go along :).
6 peppers
1 to 1.5 lbs ground beef
2 Tablespoons onion (yuck, I either use onion powder or minced onion)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
2-3 cups cooked rice
2- 15oz cans tomato sauce
1-2 cups shredded cheese

First, you need to cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the insides.




Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.  Boil the peppers for 5 minutes and set aside in a baking dish.




Make enough rice to have 2-3 cups cooked.  Brown the ground beef.


Once the rice and beef are cooked, I combine them in the large pot that was used to boil the peppers.  Add one can of tomato sauce and the seasonings & stir together.  Taste the mixture to make sure it is seasoned to your liking and add more if needed.



Stuff the peppers (Jason likes them overstuffed) and place back in the baking dish.



Pour the other can of tomato sauce over the peppers.



Cover with foil and bake at 350* for 45 minutes.  Remove foil and cover peppers with cheese.  Cook for another 15 minutes.



Enjoy!  One pepper is usually more than enough for a meal for me and Jason usually eats two... then we have enough left for lunch the next day :).

3 comments:

Dazzledust25 said...

Lex these look delicious! I adore peppers :)

Dazzledust25 said...

Tried this recipe today, gorgeous!! My whole family loved them :) Thanks Lex

Lex said...

That's great! I'm glad everyone loved them :).